I love this recipe because it's so easy and makes enough to stash in the freezer for another night! I also love the smell of ANYTHING in the crockpot throughout the day! I made these beans during the day, then made Refried Bean Enchiladas for dinner, and split up the remaining beans into 14 oz bags for a later use.
Recipe: Crockpot Refried Beans
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 3 cups dry pinto beans rinsed (approx 1 lb)
- 1 jalapeño pepper seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes or 2 tsp salt (or more/less to taste)
- 1 3/4 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 9 cups water
- Place the onion, rinsed beans, jalapeño, garlic, bouillon cubes or salt, pepper, and cumin into a slow cooker. Pour in the water and stir to combine. Cook on High for 8 hours, adding more water as needed. Note: if more than 1 cup of water has evaporated during cooking, then the temperature is too high.
- Once the beans have cooked, strain them, and reserve the liquid. Mash the beans with a potato masher, adding the reserved water as needed to attain desired consistency.
Cooking time (duration): 15
Diet type: Vegetarian
Meal type: dinner