|photo from $5 Dollar Dinners|
Cinnamon Butternut Squash Muffins
recipe adapted from $5 Dollar Dinners
Makes 24 regular size muffins
1 banana, mashed
1 cup cooked butternut squash
1/3 cup applesauce
1/3 cup white sugar
6 Tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup brown sugar
1. In stand mixer or mixing bowl, mix banana, butternut squash, eggs, applesauce, sugar, and oil, until well blended.
2. In separate mixing bowl, combine salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, wheat flour and white flour.
3. Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until batter forms.
4. Pour into greased baking cups or muffin tins, and sprinkle with brown sugar-cinnamon topping.
5. Bake at 350. Regular size muffins for 16-18 minutes. Mini muffins for 13-15 minutes.
We had these as snack right out of the oven, and the sugar topping was a nice touch. I don't know how the sugar helps the health factor, but my husband thought they were too sweet for breakfast, so we saved them as a snack for the week.
They reminded me slightly of pumpkin muffins, but didn't have a specfic taste. I was glad it didn't taste too much like it had a cup of squash in it!
After the muffins sat for a few days, they lost some of its umph. I ended up tossing the last two because nobody polished them off. So maybe they were a little TOO healthy.
I'm sharing this recipe at The Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap.
Easy Cooking | Simple Cooking