This is going to come as a surprise to some, but Florida really doesn't get that cold during the winter. Surprise, surprise! Maybe it dips into the 50's, and you put on a sweater and call it done. But one morning I woke up...it was 33 degrees outside and there was frost on our front lawn! Talk about a shock! I couldn't get my toes warm all morning, and thought it appropriate stew weather. It just seemed right.
Unfortunately, (or maybe lucky for me) I had a Girl's Night Out so I would be gone for dinner. Something in the slow cooker waiting for my husband and son at least makes me feel like that they will have a semi-healthy dinner while I'm out.
Recipe: Slow Cooker Beef Stew
Summary: recipe adapted from Betty Crocker Cookbook
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 8 ounces carrots (baby carrots or whole carrots cut into large pieces)
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup beef broth (or water)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, diced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (I left out)
- Use a 3 1/2 to 6 quart slow cooker.
- Mix all ingredients, except beef. Add beef on top (do not stir).
- Cover and cook on Low heat 8 to 9 hours on until vegetables are tender.
- Stir well.
Meal type: dinner
This was really easy to put together, it smelled great cooking, and the few bites I sneaked before I left the house made me hungry!
My husband said this was a good dinner, and that my son had a few bites, so that's victory. I had this the next day for lunch, (actually two bowl's worth!) and it was very filling, the perfect stew consistency, and the beef was not overcooked. Perfect cold weather food!Simple Cooking | Easy Cooking